Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Mortality

So tomorrow morning I'm boarding a plane for Tampa, Florida with Todd and Andrew.  For the next year I can fly anywhere Todd flies on Southwest for free, one of the many "perks" of his commuting to Chicago weekly.  Actually, the gig isn't half bad for him - he eats well, sleeps in luxury with a big plasma tv but there is the stress of a job factored in there.  So, off to Tampa to home school Andrew on who knows what in Florida - swimming in the pool sounds good.  But just the teensiest part of me is fearful that if all 3 of us go down in a bright fireball I'll be leaving two orphans.  I've given Michael instructions that there is adequate life insurance and his dream of living at 101 Clear Meadows for his entire lifetime will be able to come true, but that's not really what I want for my kids.  I want to be here for them as long as I possibly can.  

Michael texted me today out of the blue - "You're a good mom and I love you.  Thanks for everything you do."  Wow!!!  I mean he's a sweet boy, amazing son and tells me that at times, but just out of the blue, I figured something was up.  When I talked to him later he told me that one of his teammates had flown home yesterday after a call that his mom was very sick.  She ended up dying before he even boarded the plane.  Michael's gotten to know this boy well and it felt so surreal to him, the unexpectedness of it.  I often ask is it better to be prepared and know you're going, or just go?  Turns out this woman had a blood clot that went to her heart.  She was the wife of an Oklahoma congressman, and was 47.  Too young.  So, pray for this family who lost a mother too soon, and throw an extra little prayer in there that my flight makes it safely to and from Florida so I can still be a mom, what I love doing best.

3 comments:

katyvee said...

You absolutely are not allowed to die, or even be injured.. any time soon. I am not up for losing another one of my favorite human beings this early in life!!
BUT.. if you SHOULD go down.. I will raise Mo and Mook as my own forever! Truly. My kids would be thrilled! (Not that Aunt Julie's gone.. just about the new cool siblings!)

Julie said...

Glad to report we made it home in one piece. So glad that my kids would be in safe hands if it hadn't been the case.

Suzie Petunia said...

You can't just not post for a couple of weeks after a post like this one! We all need to know you are alright. :)

I love to hear about your adorable family. Post again soon!