Monday, November 3, 2008

HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY DAD!!!




My Dad turned 80 yesterday.  He was born November 2, 1928, during The Great Depression.  He has taught me so much about love of country and patriotism, especially pertinent to me on the eve of such an historic election.  My Dad has never been ashamed to hold his hand over his heart as The Star Spangled Banner plays, and I have always tried to follow his example.  Although an American by birth, he loves his Irish heritage.  When we attended his only sibling's funeral, his brother Pat, a few years ago, a bagpiper played as we left the church.  It so touched my Dad, that I thought I would do the same thing for him when his time came.  However, celebrating your 80th is quite the milestone, one which calls for your very own bagpiper at your party.  The grandkids told Grandpa there was a surprise for him on the front porch where he was treated to a few Irish ballads (Danny Boy, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling...).  I didn't mean to make him misty eyed, but it touched him.  
I feel so blessed that we have been able to be close by my kids' grandparents on both sides of our family for their entire lives.  I'm mindful of those who have lost one or both of their parents.  I still have not experienced that sadness yet and count every day among them as a treasure. 




3 comments:

katyvee said...

I LOVE that you had a bagpiper!
Happy happy day to him!! You are a darling and good daughter.
P.S. Mook looks like somethin' out of a magazine in that picture!
(Eat THAT Noel!!)

kelly said...

ok i found you! i will look through your blog (and friends) and talk to ya later!

kelly said...

me again,
your blog looks great and i am excited to keep up with you better. that is the sweetest thing to do for your dad, better he enjoy it while he is alive!
madeline is so beautiful, all the kids are.
i think i should have had another one when you did, it looks like fun to be doing kid stuff again.