Sunday, May 24, 2009

Arrivederci (or Farewell)

ITALY!!! ITALY!!! ITALY!!!


Since the time we dropped him at the airport in St. Louis on May 4, Michael has fully immersed himself in all things Italian.  It couldn't be more perfect.  He's one of 2 boys in a group of 14.  The girls love to cook dinner for them.  He lives in an apartment with a balcony where he hears the church bells and can draw to his heart's content.  Sounds great - sign me up!  He is making the most of his month in Florence, and is taking all kinds of side trips.  Most days are spent 

DRAWING 
But weekends are for places like the

TREVI FOUNTAIN (he called from there to ask what he should wish for us)



Or at the quaint hillside villages of CinqueTerre along the Meditteranean where he slept on the beach with his friends one night (something about the trains on strike and no hotels).  Diving off Italian rocks is fun too!  As an Eagle Scout, I have to assume he checked the depth before he attempted that feat.



Doesn't look real comfy



He even found a "Jolly" good place to eat! (sketch pad in hand)


He called yesterday and was enjoying a slice of pizza sitting in Venice, while a gondola sailed by.  What a life!  As a parent, I'm so glad he has this opportunity.  Every time he calls he says how glad he is he did this, and of course wants to go back for longer next time.  I'm not sure if he'll go for longer, but next time, I'm going too!

6 comments:

kelly said...

gosh he looks so grown up with his rugged facial hair! what a great experience, why is it that our kids are getting to do all of this? at least you have been to europe, i don't even have a passport-someday, maybe! just develop his pictures!! they can even be lost to a hardrive problem.

katyvee said...

So very, very, jealous.. but LOVE that he's doing and seeing all the oh-so-coolness.. and feel bonded since I've been RIGHT there! I say, we plan like, 5 years ahead.. and all go together with a few of the bigger kids. Deal? Jasen and I can dazzle you with our I'm sure now awful Italian.. and get some old friends to cook us up a feast!
Seriously. Let's say Summer 2014.
Start saving. Let's do it.

Amy Lynn said...

Ah, Chris served his mission in Italy (southern part) and has a PASSION for all things Italian. He has been back at least 7-8 times (I've been on the last 2 trips with him) and it is so fabulous. Looking at Michael's pictures make me long for the beach at Cinque Terre and the sounds and sights of Venice...and Trevi Fountain where I wished my thighs would be smaller without me having to give up hamburgers! Sigh. I love Italy. What an amazing experience! He is so grown up and incredibly handsome...with 12 girls on the trip, that boy is getting some serious attention! :>)

Emma Jo said...

Wow wow and wow some more. It sounds like a dream...a lovely dream (until I am brought back to reality by the smell of my daughter's diaper.) What an amazing experience. Oh there is so much about my cousins and cousins cousins that I just didn't know! What a handsome boy. (That, I already knew. Afterall, you are all very handsome people.)

Abby said...

Jealous--young and unattached [and handsome] in Italy with a sketchpad...what a dolce vita!

kelly said...

i know i am a whiner, have you noticed a pattern in my posts lately, it just seems things aren't going our way but i know life isn't so bad!