Monday, January 4, 2010

Hello Winter!






I don't mind winter too much.  Actually kind of enjoy it.  I've discovered I like to run when its cold out.  I like being at home and working on projects.  I don't mind the getting dark early.  What I do have a problem with is running errands in single digit temperatures with wind chills below freezing.  My day started with the garage door stubbornly opening about 7/8 of the way - making me a prisoner of my house unless I could figure out a way to get the car out.  When the McDonald's diet coke is calling you its a powerful motivator.

k1729478.jpg


 After a few minutes on a ladder with a bungee cord,  I rigged up a solution.  We stayed tucked in the rest of the day, finally stashing all of Christmas away and not home schooling because when its your birthday and your 8, what would you choose?

Tonight, in the dark, empty streets I ventured out.    I did the Target, Qdoba (free salad), Walgreen's & grocery store circuit - topping it off with a visit to Petco for crickets and vitamins for Michael's gecko (a Christmas present from his girlfriend).  Her name is Belle (the gecko, not the girlfriend - that's Kirstin).  And Belle finally pooped today - am I really worrying about why the gecko hasn't pooped?  Yes, it was a little concerning.  All is well in that department.

The forecast is calling for even colder temperatures (yippee!!) but with my heated seats and remote start I think I will survive.   Hope its warmer wherever you are!

4 comments:

kelly said...

i wrote a comment yesterday but it is not showing up. i am loving everyone's comments on UVU it is making me feel better about sending him there.
your picture is not showing up. i can't believe you can run in 20 degrees, crazy! i miss the mainland sometimes but not sure i am ready for freezing cold!

Amy Lynn said...

Running outside in winter? I run on my treadmill with the Bourne Identity series on my little DVD player...keeps my body and heart warm! :>) It is FREEZING here...I haven't embraced winter yet...but maybe I'll try your new outlook!

Emma Jo said...

I share your sentiments about winter. I keep thinking I am supposed to hate it but I just don't. Crickets though, those I could do without.
Happy Birthday, yeah!!!

Abby said...

Which do I comment on first? Two new posts waiting for me!!
1. I'm not surprised by any means that you and Todd created a supermodel daughter--I just can't belive she is all grown up! So beautiful, and I know she has the personality to match.
2. Good for you for running. I miss it. And I miss liking it.
3. Good for Todd for the 50 lbs. Amazing when people can have discipline. I hope to learn that trick some day.
4. I love that a diet coke can get you to move mountains. It makes me laugh--and don't think for one second I cannot relate...I am known to drive a ridiculous distance just for Sonic onion rings and disguise the act as a special trip to get the kids a cream slush.
5. I miss you guys. You are fun. Happy birthday! (And to your son to. 8? Have I even met him?! Wrong!)