Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Totally Random Post

My darling daughter likes to come home from school and make herself a nest on the couch to do her homework/text/catch up on American Idol.  Inside the nest today was hummus and carrots; dirty socks; a laptop; a backpack and assorted books; car keys - well you get the idea.  The nest was unoccupied as I was setting up MODERN FAMILY (Not a repeat tonight!!!) to record and I vowed to not clean it up as I normally do (nice mom that I am).  Daughter did not handle it well when I asked her to tidy up nest as she was heading out the door to a high school basketball game.  I held my ground.  I have reclaimed the couch!

My oldest boy is having an adventure - surfing, ALONE, in California.  I put my foot down, many times - but eventually caved.  He did master Italy last year, although not alone.  So, rental car and hotel, rented surfboard and purchased wet suit, he is having the spring break he wanted.  He's much like his mom who every once in a while needs a bit of alone time.

My little one - still so innocent and soooo sweet.  The other day we dropped off donations at the Shriner's Childrens' Hospital - unused Happy Meal toys and new books.  The kind man behind the counter wondered if Andrew might want a totally cool multi color light up sword.  Uh, yeah?  Even though these are very similar to the Made in China glow swords we succumb to every year on vacation that usually break by the end of the night, still - what boy can resist?  As we're back in the car he thoughtfully said, "Mom, I guess that's karma.  We did something nice for them and they did something nice for us."  How does he know what karma is?

I continue to be the work week widow of a man who travels the country - last week from Alaska to Seattle to El Paso with a cab that caught on fire somewhere in between.  We should downsize our house because he's here less than he's away.  He works hard and I am grateful.

As enthralling as this "random" post is, my Panera you pick two is now eaten and a brand new Modern Family is queued up waiting.  Thanks for passing the time!!

8 comments:

kelly said...

i'll take any post you write!! first i am reading glass castle and love it! have you read half broke horses from her? second, modern family, the best show!! i like my alone time too. it is so funny that michael wanted to go surfing in cali! andrew is a funny boy and madeleine is a teenager, all normal!

Amy Lynn said...

I love a new post! Hooray! And I love the update on your darling family. I love Madeline's nest and that Michael is surfing and that Andrew knows what karma is. I wish we were next door neighbors...we could curl up in nests and swap books and get Diet Cokes and cupcakes when needed...sigh.

Emma Jo said...

I love your darling family and don't like to admit that your children are so old, but I love them! Your evening sounds divine...mmm, Panera's Asiago Roast Beef and Creamy Wild Rice soup pick two is a fave...and I myself and anxiously waiting to watch my Modern Family tonight!

Oscarson Photography said...

The boy must grow to be a warrior... and surfing is only one tool he must learn. I mean, I got to, why shouldn't he?

I wanna hear your hubby tell the taxi fire story cause it would probably be the best story telling session ever.

We never really spend time with y'all, but we miss you terribly.

Julie said...

How fun is it that I watched Modern Family and came back to the computer and have four responses? Perhaps I'll have Todd do a guest post and tell of the burning taxi in Anchorage. Love to all!

Abby said...

Um...I hope it was a Greek salad and Chicken Frontega sandwich...
I could SO fit in on your couch and keep you company while the hubby is away--Modern Family is my FAVORITE show right now. Laughing about the thoughtful Karma boy. Reeling a litte at your independent older children. They are like adults, what the?

Unknown said...

Though I had already had the pleasure of hearing the burning taxi, and solo-surfer boy, tales-- I was unaware of the house-in nest (does she have you bring her chewed up worms to drop in her mouth??) and for some reason, sweet Andrew saying karma.. made my eyes well-up. How I love Jollys.

Unknown said...

WAIT!! That was NOT Sam-a-lamb.. that was me.. KATY. How am I signed in as HIM? I want credit for my input..