Friday, January 23, 2009

"Half a Tank, You're Walking"

That quote can be attributed to Roy Oscarson, affectionately known as PaPa.  Somewhere along the way when he imparted all his many words of wisdom one of his gems was to never let your tank go below half full, or half empty depending on how you look at it.   Goodness, if you were on half a tank, you may as well just be running out of gas.  Trying to stay on a budget,  its a game for me to see how many days I can go without filling up, but on one of my preparedness blogs was the simple advice to always keep your tank half full.  Of course I envision nuclear war and a huge cloud of radioactive dust I'll be speeding away from, and an empty tank won't help me, will it?  So I think I will follow dear Papa's advice and be prepared like he always was for whatever comes our way.  

4 comments:

Oscarson Photography said...

I finally found your blog!

And the half tank thing, that's so funny, I totally thought it was just my dad who insisted upon that. Well, I should have known it was good ole Roy advise.

katyvee said...

I'm so bad.. I always want my grocery store gas discount (more ya spend-- more ya save!) that is always only valid one time (then ya gotta buy another $200 worth of groceries to get the whole 20 cents off a gallon dontcha know. Hey.. why can't I find a "cents" symbol on my computer?) ANYWHO.. so I always want my tank good and empty and runnin' on fumes before I fill up. Papa would NOT be proud. My friend called me stranded, OUT of gas comnpletely the other day-- and was like, "Can't believe I actually ran out.. it'd only been on empty 3 days!!" We really are gonna grow-up one day.

kelly said...

i remember 911, everyone went crazy with gas. i don't know how much it would help here you can't get anywhere really if something happens but i would still hate to run out of gas and walk somewhere, i am a 1/4 tank kind of girl.how's middle ground?

Amy Lynn said...

I'm with Spencer...I seriously thought it was a PKO gem...although I would suspect that most of my dad's gems were passed down through the ages. Wonder what little "gems" my kids will remember from me? "Clean your room...now! No, not in a few minutes...I'm going to count to 5 and you better be movin' buddy!"